Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Walking home

  • The old woman sits on the pavement, in an obscure corner, with two baskets of vegetables. She's chosen the most unlikely place to sell vegetables, it seems. I wonder who buys vegetables from her. I've never seen anyone buying.

  • In the chic coffee shop, a bunch of giggly young girls are enjoying the evening over cups of coffee. Their faces are flushed with laughter and their eyes are brimming with happiness.

  • The new swanky mall that has recently come up, is a buzzing place. As I walk by, I remember that when I came here last year, it was still an empty space.

  • Two migrant laborers, probably from a nearby construction site, are walking home with their daily provisions. It's the end of their day and they seem relieved. They chatter animatedly in their native dialect and walk past me.

  • As I turn left and enter the building, I see an old lady sitting quietly on the watchman's chair. Which is very odd, because I have previously seen the watchman, and he doesn't remotely look like an old lady. Probably this old lady came down for a walk and feeling tired sat down on the chair, I assume. I know it's an uninteresting assumption, but the most likely.
Each evening, I walk the same path to reach home.

And each evening, I find it to be different.

3 comments:

G Shrivastava said...

Isn't that the best part of life? the little changes and surprises that make each day seem different from the last, and that keep us on our toes?

pranabk said...

Plain Jane: Yes, now that I've realized that nothing extraordinary is going to happen to me, I am learning to extract pleasure from these little everyday things.

Anonymous said...

'i walk slowly, like one who comes from so far away he doesn't expect to arrive' - Jorge Luis Borges