Monday, December 17, 2007

Realization

It is a painful moment when we realize that probably we don't have the talent to do what we really want to do. (I mean, of course we can always dabble into something; but I'm talking about the real talent here.) It is also a very lonely moment and nothing in the world seems to ameliorate the excruciating pain that comes with this realization. We struggle between hope and despair, we struggle with all our might to come to terms with it, but nothing seems to fill in the enormous emotional void.

Faced with such a moment of crisis, not everybody can accept the cruel fact with a sane head. Indeed, some even try to find an escape with guns, drugs, or alcohol. (Remember the motto "it's better to burn out, than to fade away"!) But, thankfully, these people are few in number; and most of us, with time, quietly accept the fact without much fuss. "Let's not take our life and work so seriously after all," we seem to remind ourselves and move ahead. Of course, at some weak moments, we lament at not being born a genius, but we do overcome such moments soon enough.

The age-old Indian philosophy says that we only have the right to do our work, and not on the outcome of it; so work your part with detachment and don't desire for a result. Maybe, it's not a very practical thought. Or maybe it is. I really don't know. As for me, I'll occasionally keep writing a few stray posts, even though I've already realized the truth. After all, a race is never a race without those who 'also ran'.

I think I'm getting too wise for my age! Or maybe I'm plain lazy. Who knows!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The talent may not exist where we want it to, but talent does lie somewhere in each one of us...the challenge lies in discovering it.

pranabk said...

plain jane: Well, that's a comforting thought. But, after spending half my life without finding any talent in me, I'm confident that living without talent is not so bad, anyway.

joydedas said...

I strongly agree with Plain Jane, very well said. Just for you Koch, you have this brilliant talent of making someone like me browse through your articles for hours!! Don’t take is as an advice or anything, but you need to route your talent in a proper way so that it is visible to everyone so that it can be recognized for good or bad.

pranabk said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting, Joydeep.

Unknown said...

sometimes reading your posts feels like I am reading my own mind and thoughts
beautifully written

pranabk said...

wasmi: It would be a lie if I say that I don't care about my writing being appreciated or not. It really feels good to read occasional words of appreciation for my work. And I'm happy that you had been generous with your comments on my blog. Thanks a bunch!