Wednesday, April 23, 2008

They said

  • Something I considered the biggest asset of yours… was your lazy attitude.
  • Though you can do hard work, you prefer doing that only when the problem knocks on your door.
  • I had always confided in you with my problems, like many of us, and it is the trust you command that has made us do it.
  • You have enough capabilities. Yet, the way you make use of it (rather, don’t make use of it) is puzzling.
  • I should not give you advice as my case is also hopeless.
  • … All of us seem to be infected with optimism disease (to quote Rushdie) that we’ll meet some day. But, practicalities are insurmountable and however good friends we may be, I know that you won’t catch a train to Mumbai if you feel like meeting me and neither would I do something that impulsive. Except, optimistically speaking, through serendipity, we might be at the same place at the same time. But then what? I know so many people, good friends living in the same place who haven’t had the time in years to call up and say hello.
  • Rest is laid unspoken.

These are lines extracted from one of my old diaries. Years ago, while we were parting after four years of staying together, my friends in college wrote them down for me – reminiscing, thanking, advising, admonishing, and generally asking to ‘keep in touch’.

Except for occasional phone conversations or emails no one is really ‘in touch’ these days. And even if we end up talking on phone sometime, the conversation becomes tedious and forced. The lively banter of yesteryear is now replaced with more important talks of career, money, investments, marriage, etc. (which, I admit, are definitely important, but somehow doesn’t really make up for stimulating conversation).

But, why exactly this sudden spurt of nostalgia, you may ask?

I blame it on summer heat. Besides making my days dull and lethargic, it is also giving me sleepless nights. And on sleepless nights it is only natural to find yourself crowded with old memories. Old memories – they come to you in the quiet of the night, keeps you awake, only to fade away in the bright daylight.

2 comments:

Trinath Gaduparthi said...

Probably and remotely
clogged down memories are
blogged down here

Meghna said...

Hi Pranab,
Wonderfully said! But I believe blogging is a good way to remember those who don't have time to do so! I hope they all keep contact...
BTW, the starting was quite hilarious :P