Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Not quite cricket

For someone who'd once been an avid cricket enthusiast I find myself surprisingly nonchalant about the ongoing World Cup. By this time, till a few years back, I would have glued myself to television -- but not anymore. (Well, it has nothing to do with my not owning a television, though. Given a television today, I'd most likely be watching a movie on it.)

I do not know when exactly my interest in cricket started waning -- the change must have been so gradual that I failed to notice it. And now my knowledge of cricket has dwindled to such an extent that I don't even know the names of all the countries that are playing in this World Cup. Agreed, there are a lot of new teams (minnows, as we are calling them) playing in this World Cup; but even about the seasoned teams, I doubt, I have very little information. But more than not knowing, it is perhaps the unwillingness to know (I've been skipping cricket news in the newspapers for quite some time now) that marks my departure from a cricket enthusiast.

Cricket, to me now, is like an estranged lover -- there's no ill feeling, but there's neither the passionate attachment of yesteryears. There simply lies an unfathomable distance between us now.

I know the teenage me of yesteryears, who grew up playing this game, would not have approved of this. But then, he would not have approved of so many other things about what I'm today, anyway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thank god one sane person in a world of cricket crazy ......ofcourse a transformed one but chalo der aaye durust aaye.

keep up the good work ...

pranabk said...

Thanks for dropping by, Shveta.

Well, by declaring my disinterest in Cricket World Cup, I thought I faced the risk of being called an insane person, though.

folie_douce said...

I can completely empathise, nay, identify with you here, coz this is exactly how I feel towards Cricket now.This might change too..
..liked your comparison of Cricket to an estranged lover...

-priya