Friday, July 25, 2008

Slowness

"There is a secret bond between slowness and memory, between speed and forgetting. Consider this utterly commonplace situation: a man is walking down the street. At a certain moment, he tries to recall something, but the recollection escapes him. Automatically, he slows down. Meanwhile, a person who wants to forget a disagreeable incident he has just lived through starts unconsciously to speed up his pace, as if he were trying to distance himself from a thing still too close to him in time.

In existential mathematics, that experience takes the form of two basic equations: the degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the intensity of forgetting."
- From Milan Kundera’s Slowness

I started reading Slowness a few days back. And either as a result of paying too much heed to the book’s title, or because the book contains some wonderful passages (which demanded pausing and re-reading and pausing again), I am finding myself still stuck at around the first quarter of the book.

But, of course, I am in no hurry.

P.S. Also, by the way, here’s a somewhat related piece I wrote long back, In praise of slowness, which is neither about Kundera nor the book, but about slowness nonetheless.

3 comments:

G Shrivastava said...

Push yourself beyond and suddenly you'll discover that you don't want to go slow anymore...
I'm nearly done with my Jhmpa Lahiri after which I shall turn my attention to the "baap" i.e. Kundera once again...

pranabk said...

plain Jane: Oh yes, the speed grew and I did finish it soon after I posted this.

Trinath Gaduparthi said...

The slowness described seems to be mathematically paraphrased in the excerpt. I like the definiteness of such expressions even for abstract things like this. I guess that is what mathematics is for !