Friday, November 02, 2007

On the road

The bus I'm travelling on comes to a halt amongst the din. The roads are blocked due to a strike, we're informed. No buses are going farther.

It's always horrible to get stuck up midway. More so if it's a obscure place and you don't know what to do. The crowds thronging outside the buses were of no help. They only added to the confusion and frustration.

Amidst all the suggestions that were flying around, I found two worth consideration. One: We cross the river by boat and try catching a bus from the other bank, where the strike is not effective. Two: We hire a cycle rickshaw at an exorbitant price and go cross the river by the bridge, which is a few kilometers away.

I decided for the second option. To cross the river Brahmaputra on a boat is not for the faint-hearted.

The cycle rickshaw takes us on a bumpy ride, through lonely winding roads along the bank of the river. We also traverse a few hillocks on our way and at times, when we're going up a particularly steep slope, we get down and push the rickshaw uphill. Needless to say, I curse the whole world and am angry like hell.

Finally, when we're up on the two-kilometer-long bridge (Naranarayan Setu), it's almost dusk. The setting sun is reflected on the flowing water below and the darkening hills on either bank looks eerily quiet. The river breeze, damp and heavy, touches us stealthily.

All these, to me, seem grotesquely fairytale-ish. The setting, although indescribably beautiful, invokes in me a feeling of gloom and fear.

To ease myself, I try to strike up a conversation with the rickshawallah.

3 comments:

G Shrivastava said...

Oh ho...what's this habit of ending the post os abruptly and leaving the reader begging for more? Chalo now complete the tale, the appetite has been whetted enough...

Unknown said...

i feel it is a good technique to leave the post in am manner that readers are left guessing
and don't try complete any post necessarily when you don't want to (it could turn out to be a disaster!)

pranabk said...

Plain Jane: What actually happened after that is quite boring. I'm sure it would mar all the excitement. So,I leave it to your imagination.

Wasmi: I've got your hint, mate! I know the disaster you're refering to.