Friday, July 13, 2007

Feverish

Sluggish head. Parched throat. Burning eyes. Lost appetite. Intermittent sleep. And worst of all -- a cranky mood.

It's so very irritating, I tell you.

But then, when you're feverish you have to bear with some unpleasant things. Otherwise, wouldn't everyone relish going down with fever on the slightest pretext!

So here I was, bitterness rising in me, as I helplessly watched my body staging a revolt against me. Yes, I know, I should have given heed to the early warnings. But till the time I'm up and working, why do I need to give it a damn, right? Well, actually quite wrong. But, let's forget the arguments for now.

Because, meanwhile, more sinister things were happening to me. I felt helpless, spent, and vulnerable. I craved for attention and care. And I hate to say this: I had this shameless tendency to flaunt my illness to gain sympathy.

But, of course, no one took notice of any deterioration in my health, however much I flaunted my illness. So, finally, I gave up behaving abnormally.

When alone, I tried to ignore the symptoms. I tried to get some sleep. (I believe a good sleep almost always cures me of anything. The problem, however, is that I cannot sleep when I need it most.)

Yesterday, late at night, huddled in my bed, watching TV in mute, I somehow managed to fall asleep. Or, maybe partially asleep. Because, I felt strange going-ons in my head. I felt disturbed by something I couldn't comprehend.

And then, I felt a cool palm rest on my forehead. Somewhat anxious and worried. Beside my bed, there was a rustling of clothes. And a lingering fragrance, long forgotten.

I woke up with a start. Just like they wake up in the movies, you see, after a nightmare.

I sat on my bed, silent and befuddled.

There was a breeze coming in through the open window. The eucalyptuses were humming outside. And I suddenly realized, as if for the first time, that fever was burning my body.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too weak to breathe, heavy head, burning eyes. Not even the shade of trees provides relief. But after the weekend, pleasantness itself will shock you and fever will pass. You are fortunate because far from revolt, your body is fighting for your survival. But you know that. Would it be better just to be a mind without the body? I think not. We have something to learn from that we initially think as enemies. Patience.

pranabk said...

Alexandre FABBRI: yes, patience! I wish to gain some more patience by the time I come out of this.
And no, I too don't prefer the idea of mind without body. The body, though transient and fragile, is still dear to me.
Maybe, I'm still very far from enlightenment.

Anonymous said...

But what about Mr Vegetable? Acts first, thinks later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvC2iJRHCM

folie_douce said...

don't you realise the joy of being hale and hearty after you r ill?

pranabk said...

folie_douce: yes, I realize that there are so many things that I take for granted.

文章 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.