Saturday, June 16, 2007

Small happenings

  • Each morning as I walk for office I pass by this leafy gulmohar tree, its vibrant red flowers scattered on the pavement, and I think "Why this name gulmohar?" (The Wikipedia entry, though informative, does not explain the name.)
  • I'm caught in a drizzle as I'm walking home. Tiny droplets float in air and fall on my specs, blurring my vision. But I keep walking, not bothering to wipe my specs clean. The world looks different through blurred glasses and I'm happy.
  • The elderly and affable gentleman at the shop introduces me to his granddaughter the other day. "She sometimes come to help me after her school," he says pointing to the little girl standing behind the cashbox. I nod, grin, and ask her name. "Sunayna," she says, rather embarrassed at being introduced to a stranger. "That's apt," I say to myself, "she indeed has very beautiful eyes."
  • Lonely evening. Sipping beer and reading Pankaj Mishra's An End to Suffering: The Buddha in the World. The book is quite engrossing and I'm lost in the times of Buddha, centuries back. I take a happy swig and wonder what these things -- 'renouncing the world' and 'detaching from desire' -- are like.
  • Fresh uniforms, neat shoes, water bottles, schoolbags. Shuffling impatiently on their sprightly legs the children wait for their school bus in the morning. I smile at them as I walk by. Most of them shy away and look elsewhere. However, the other day, for a change, I found one of them making a face at me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

honesty, simplicity, innocence, freshness ...
why do i feel that i am almost at the very scene which you describe in your writings

Rajiv Verma said...

hi bhaiya,....
ur all posts r just awesome...

specifically saying...
ur writting language...

whenevr i read ur posts...
i come across words which I used long ago in my primaries..

and most importantly...
thro ur posts, i've been to ur home, ur room,
i've seen ur book self...

& all the things u speak about,,,

what om trying to say that....
as i read your posts...i feel being there...

PRANABDA...
its almost 5 yrs since i've seen u...

do mail me ur latest foto na...
on my gmail id...
rajiv.smu@gmail.com

G Shrivastava said...

Doesn't it unnerve you when you can't see the world clearly through rain-blurred specs? It drives me up the wall - but then I can rarely survive content without my lunettes for more than a few minutes...the dullness of the world jars!
I remember first day of school and the excitement of wearing new uniforms, carrying a new bag...and the best part opening the new books to inscribe my name neatly on the 1st page! Still love doing that with each new batch and the class prep notes I make :-)

G Shrivastava said...

PS Adding you to my Blog Addictions...ok with you?