Monday, May 14, 2007

A house for pranabk

So, this weekend, I moved, once again, to a new house.

Even as I write this, bags, books and a whole lot of other paraphernalia lie strewn in my new apartment. But thankfully -- and I pride myself on this -- my belongings are not much. In fact, until very recently I could stuff all my stuff in two big bags and move anywhere within an hour's notice. In that sense, one could say that I literally lived out of my bags. (Things, however, are poised for a change now as I am contemplating on buying a few more household luxuries -- a television, cooking gas, fridge, etc. But I repeat, I'm just contemplating and most of the time my contemplation does not necessarily translate into action.)

Anyways, after I shifted all my belongings, and was left alone, a strange sense of loneliness gripped me. I paced around the empty rooms and the balcony, inspected the taps and the sink, switched on and off the light bulbs, watched the dust and cobwebs. But all the while, my mind wandered off to a place thousands of miles away -- the only place I still call home. Well, almost a decade and four cities later the word 'home' still reminds me of only one place on earth -- of bamboo fencings, tiled roofs, red hibiscus flowers, branches of guava trees, mango shades...

Now, no one knows this better than me that I cannot go back home again. I cannot go back simply because, I know, my idea of home is rooted in a certain time period and not the physical place itself. My home lives in my memory.

So, I try to convince myself that home is a place where one lives, wherever it might be. I know the earlier I accept it, the better. I know all these, I understand, and I hard try to accept. But somehow, each new roof I sleep under unsettles me for some moment and reminds of a faraway home.

3 comments:

pr!tz said...

This was something similar to a post that I got writing, broke down, shed some tears, then simply deleted from my comp. There is no use,really.

Simply, because this HOME is a state of mind, its a feeling. In that sense, it is heartbreaking to be ... HOMELESS. What say? :)

Eerie, this is -- I am listening to a song right now. It is called HOME, by Michael Buble!

Georgina Shamon said...

Do you write novels? or something? I love the way you write. I think if you wrote enough you could turn your stuff into a nice novel. One that at least I would enjoy. Have a fun summer too if it is summer time there. You are in India, right? Oh and the song HOME by Michael Buble really is great. Take a listen if you haven't.

pranabk said...

preethi -- well, it's painful to be HOMELESS, but I think we also have an urge to go and seek the unknown... come out of the boundaries... and be homeless... I'm confused, really

georgiegirl -- thanks for the encouraging words! (the measured response)
Yippee!! (the actual response)